12.01.2009

Hometown Pride

I come from a small community, where I have lived all my life, until I made the transition to a large college town. The culture is so very different from what I've grown up with. In my hometown everybody greets everybody. You can't walk down the sidewalk in the uptown district and not say "Hi" to people you meet. The streets are kept clean and swept. Flowers are planted in the park in the summer. There is a Christmas parade the last weekend in November. The town just radiates "Welcome." When I moved to a college town I was surprised at the change. People look at the ground as they walk around campus, nobody greets anybody. The parking lots and streets are littered with broken glass and fast food wrappers. People make a community. We can work to make where we live more like home.