8.12.2009

Lessons Learned

As my time interning this summer comes to an end, I'm glad to be able to reflect on what I've learned and what has changed. It can be nerve-racking to enter a situation like an internship, but it really is an invaluable experience.


One of the most important things I've figured out is that if you are willing to do any task, even just try it, you will earn the respect and appreciation of your coworkers and boss. Everyone knows that cleaning habitats - a.k.a. scooping poo - is part of the job description of an animal keeper. I've learned to love the time we clean because it gives me a chance to talk and laugh one-on-one with my coworkers. Complaining doesn't make the poo disappear faster, nor does it make you any friends in the workplace.

Another important thing I learned is to take initiative. The first few days are fine to just follow directions and get your bearings. Once you are comfortable, show them that you know what you're doing! I've received tons of thanks and compliments just by thinking a step ahead and making my coworkers' lives easier.

The most obvious part is simply work hard. Give 100%, 100% of the time. Make an effort to get to know the people you work with outside of the office and be a positive voice. People appreciate a good attitude, and everyone likes to have fun, so there's no reason not to!

NightOwl