12.10.2009

Our Elders

I'm sure you know an elderly person. A grandparent, a great-aunt or uncle, a godparent. And of course we love our grandparents! They send us money on our birthdays, take us out to eat and maybe you even got to stay with them when you were younger and your parents were out of town. Sure they're old, but they're family! Now imagine your sweet Nana all alone in a nursing home, with no one ever coming to visit her. Not such a happy thought, huh? I've worked in a care facility for 3 years. It's sad to say, but there are situations like this. Residents have asked me, Well, when is my son going to come see me?, or, Could you come after your shift and talk with me? We all need to realize all the wisdom and love that is just sitting there in nursing homes. Maybe you even know someone who lives in a facility. Take time and go visit them. You will be surprised at what you learn from the elderly. They are the individuals who worked so hard to make this a place we all want to live. They paved the way for our futures. Everyone wants to feel as if they belong with someone. Maybe you can visit that lonely elder and make this an extra special holiday season for them.